Established in 2016, the Lawn & Garden Water Smart Tax Holiday was created to encourage responsible water use in Texas. During the Memorial Day Weekend event, certain water saving products are tax-free!
When is the Water Smart Tax Holiday?
The tax-free holiday falls on Memorial Day Weekend from Saturday, May 26 to Monday, May 28.
What water smart item qualify for the tax-free exemption?
Here are the categories of products that qualify for the sales tax exemption
- Watersense Products: Any product tax free that displays a WaterSense label or logo whether for personal or business purposes.
- Water-Conserving Products: Consumers can also purchase certain water-conserving products tax free. Unlike WaterSense-labeled items, these items are only exempt when purchased for use at a residential property.
- Water Conservation Items: These would include items used or planted to conserve or retain groundwater, recharge water tables, or to decrease the ambient air temperature, limiting water evaporation
Here are some examples of items that qualify for the exemption:
- Soaker or drip-irrigation hoses
- Moisture control for a sprinkler or irrigation system
- Rain barrels or an alternative rain and moisture collection systems
- Permeable ground cover surfaces that allows water to reach underground basins, aquifers or water collection points
- All plants, trees and grasses
- Water-saving surfactants
- Soil and compost
What items do not qualify for the tax-free exemption?
Examples of items that do not qualify for the exemption include:
- Construction/building materials
- Awnings and other items used to create shade
- Air conditioners
- Ceiling fans
Fannin Tree Farm is proud to be part of this annual event and help conserve one of our most precious and limited resources in Texas: water.
Fannin Tree Farm – Holiday Weekend Hours:
Saturday 5/26/18: 9am – 5pm
Sunday 5/27/18: 1pm to 5 pm
Monday (Memorial Day) 5/28/18: 10am – 3pm