As autumn approaches, be sure to take full advantage of the season. It is widely spoken that fall is the best time to plant trees and shrubs. Here are a few things to consider when planting trees at your home.
1st: Planting trees in the fall
• Planting trees in the fall is the best time of the year for plant growth, because of the cooler temperatures and most deciduous trees are dormant allowing less stress and damage to the tree.
2nd: Planting deciduous trees
• Many deciduous trees provide beautiful foliage and if planted in the correct spot, they can help reduce your energy bill. Consider planting a deciduous tree like a Red Oak, Cedar Elm, Bur Oak, or Lacebark Elm on the northwest side of your home. This will cool your home in the summer and allow sunlight to heat your home in the winter.
3rd: Planting trees along the North and South side
• If you are looking to plant a screen for vegetable gardens or screen from harsh winter winds, consider planting a row of trees, like Eastern Red Cedars, Magnolias, hollies, junipers, or other full to the ground growth type trees to protect from the cold northern winds.
• Planting tree rows along the south side of your property will provide a good wind break as they mature.
4th: Do not plant large stature shade trees close to the foundation.
• Most large-stature trees, like Red Oaks, Live Oaks, Magnolias, Cedar Elms, and Bald Cypress, need room to grow. Their roots grow outward to stabilize them as they mature. They require water and can reduce moisture near the foundation. It is important to not plant a tree within 25-ft of a foundation. These large tree species can have roots that grow out 3-5 times the width of their canopy.
5th: Do not plant large shade trees beneath utility lines.
• Selecting the right tree for the right location is very important. Never plant a large stature tree beneath a power line or within 25-35 ft of an overhead line. As these trees mature, they will grow into utility lines and require invasive pruning.
If you have any questions about your trees, feel free to contact the professionals at Fannin Tree Farm. Our number is (972) 747-9233 and we have a team of experts ready to serve.